Himachal Pradesh - Travel Tips
TRAVEL TIPS FOR TRAVELLERS
1. A proper VISA to enter and stay in India is a must. Foreigners who wish to overstay should contact the nearest
Foreigners' Regional Registration Officer or the Sadar Police Station in the town.
2. Foreign, Nationals require Inner Line Permits to visit certain inner area of Kinnaur Distt. and Spiti of the Lahaul Spiti
Distt. Bordering Tibet. The Permits are issued by SDM, Manali and SDM, Reckong Peo, Deputy Commissioner
Lahaul Spiti at Keylong and Deputy Commissioner, Kinnaur at Reckong Peo.
3. Observe local traditions and customs especially while visiting religious places. Contact your nearest Tourist off
your hotel for guidance
4. Always enter a temple, mosque, tomb, dargah or gurudwara without shoes on and properly dressed
5. Stay only in hotel/guesthouses that are registered with the Department of Tourism. A certificate to this effect is
prominently displayed by them.
6. Take care of proper disposal of your bio degradable/ non degradable waste while you are exploring Himalayas or
anywhere else. Dispose all litter carefully. The use of plastic bags is banned in Himachal
7. Stop at Government emporiums. Prices are reasonable and quality assured. Himachal Emporium outlets are
located at Bilaspur, Chamba, Dharamshala, Mandi, Kullu, Keylong, Kinnaur, Rekong Peo, Nahan, Solan, Arki and
Shimla. Outside the state, these are at New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chandigarh. You can also buy directly
from craftsmen located throughout Himachal. But if you plan to carry them overseas, do take a receipt for Customs
8. For sighsoeing and excursions, contact Himachal Tourism/HPTDC Marketing omces. The HPTDC has its own fleet of coaches.
9. Some Buildings and monuments require permission for photography and filming Contact the nearest Tourism office of the concerned District Administration for guldance and assistance
10. Credit cards are accepted at most shops, restaurants and hotel in the main towns. Their use is minimal outside them
and all payments are in cash.
11. The online reservation of HPTDC hotels and Transport Bookings is also available on its website wherein rooms can be payment can be made using credit/ debit cardon its website hptdc.gov.ln
12, IF A document is lost immediately contact the nearest Taurism Office or Police Station
13. For medical assistance contact Govemment hospitals and disponsanes or accredited nursing homes! clinicst
14. Itis advisable to cover yourself with travel insurance for thefts, loss and medi-claim.
15. Before undertaking the adventure activities such as trekking, rafting, paragliding, local authorities such as SDM
16. Tourists intended to take adventure activities are advised to hire the services of the travel agents and guides
17. There is excellent coverage of communication network in Himachal. Please keep important numbers of Tourist
Police. Tourist Offices etc, should be informed in advance and permission may be taken in advance wherever
approved by the Department of Tourism, HP Govt. only
Information Offices/ Police Station with you. Important numbers are -
A. Emergency Number 10B
B. Police Station-100
1.Don't stand at the edge of cliff or on the bolder near the bank ol river for photographs etc. The current of the river in
Himachal Pradesh is very strong
2. Don't leave non biodegradable litter behind. Polythene is banned in Himachal under Non-Biodegradable Garbage
(Control)Act of 1995
3. Smoking is nol allowed in public places under Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places Rules, 2008
4. Don'teat anything offered by fellow travellers on train or road travels. I might have sleeping pills
5. Don't buy articles made from rare or andangered species or animals. Antiques more than 100 years old may not be
6. Don'tdisfigure or scibble on rocks, trees, building etc.
7. Dont trust strangers, trust your hotel.
8. Do not carry any prohibited substance covered under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic SubstancesAct, 1985.